Saturday, September 10, 2011

She's Got the Whole World in Her Hand

As promised, I'm posting up my chalkboard globe. I ended up messing it up, had to completely strip the paint off and start fresh. Regrettably, the seams on the globe are a little messed up now, but there's a chance I will make another in the future. It was a fun project, and is a very cute decorating piece.


So I went on a mad hunt for this baby. I wasn't planning on buying a crappy globe online, because I didn't want to pay the shipping for something that I was essentially going to destroy. The thing about DC and Virginia, however, is that there are no good thrift stores that have reasonable weekend hours. Antique stores are a dime a dozen, but if I'm going to spend $110+ on it, I'm not going to spray it with chalkboard spray paint.


A smart thing to do before painting would have been to make cutouts of the land masses...that way there would be less guessing later on (and Greenland wouldn't have literally fallen off the map... hindsight's 20/20).  Anyways, this is where I live! Good ol' East Coast. This was just a day before Hurricane Irene paid us a visit. 


These are all the metal globe pieces painted silver. I didn't like the old dirty metal look they had going on. I figured silver would look very crisp against the black chalkboard.


First coat of the top half of the globe done. Chalkboard paint is super easy to spray on. It goes on pretty evenly, and doesn't take long to dry at all. I was impressed.


Eclipse?




This is it finished. Love her...being Mother Earth. And I put my little flag where DC is.

After e-mailing Seth and telling him that Greenland almost didn't make it on the map (the northern part of Canada was dangerously close to Europe), he reassured me that he heard Greenland was going to melt into the ocean anyways. My map is simply ahead of its time.

It's no wonder I like him so much <3

It started with a cheap globe from e-bay: $17...ended up with a pretty badass decorating piece for my room that everyone seems to love.



1 comment:

  1. I love this! What an awesome conversation piece and a great tribute to where you've been and mostly the dreams of where you'll go next!

    ReplyDelete