Monday, September 5, 2011

Baking Therapy

I find baking to be cathartic for some reason. I don't know if it's the stirring motion that does it for me, but it works better than $100+ therapy sessions. And then there's some sugar therapy that lingers not far behind.


I've done my share of baking cookies, cupcakes, muffins, cheesecakes, shortbreads, pizza dough and more. However, I've always bought my pie crusts for some reason. Hydrogenated and partially-hydrogenated oils have been stricken from my diet, except when I need to bake something in a pie crust. For some reason, it's always store bought for me.


In an effort to lead a healthier life (I type this as I'm eyeing my second glass of white wine, by the way), I decided to make my own!!


It was a savory crust, and it was SOOOOOOO worth making from scratch. Holy crap.


My recipe was as follows:


  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter (cold)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar 
  • 4 Tbsp ice water
  • Thyme (I just judged by how much I wanted to include)
All was done in a food processor. I put the butter in the freezer and then cut it into half inch cubes when ready. First the flour goes in, then the butter. Cut it all together in the processor and add sugar and salt (it should look mealy or grainy). Slowly add the tablespoons of water until it comes together as a dough. It may not take all the ice water. Mine came up about half a tablespoon short.

Then wrap it up and toss it in the fridge for at least an hour. Once it's ready, preheat the oven to 350degrees. Toss some flour on a large flat surface and break out with that good ol' rolling pin! Don't be afraid to beat your dough a little...I had to. That thing was so stiff...but seeing the butter scattered throughout made me realize it was going to be worth it!

Once in a nice round shape (enough to fit in a 9-inch pie pan), just dump that sucker in the pan and bake it.


So this is more or less what my crust looked like before I put the filling in. The edges got nice and golden brown when it all went in the oven the second time.



This was my tomato pie filling. Onions, garlic, mushrooms, thyme, and a shit ton of tomatoes. Topped it all off with a nice egg and parmesan cheese layer. DEEEEEEEELISH!

No comments:

Post a Comment